On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Harry Veeder wrote:

> > Grok said no thanks, to the above.
> I am not sure why he should apologize for his off-topic postings,

Political posting sent here, rather than to vtxB.

> If you expect him to reveal his true identity then that should be
> written in the rules.

Nope.  If any user misbehaves so badly that they draw complaints from the
entire community, then I'll fix the problem, which includes crafting
arbitrary and mysterious requirements on a whim.

As with any professional community, people with real names are welcome,
and people who hide their identities have marked themselves as "probably
criminal element" in the eyes of the group ...although on internet,
anonymity also means "teenager," or "newbie user."  (Which of the three is
worse?)  To impress fellow professionals, always put your address and
phone number in your sig.  This is an unwritten societal rule which
applies to the entire world, not just online or on vortex: try walking
around downtown wearing a mask, see what happens.

Perhaps vortex should require surrendering anonymity, but it's much work
to do it right (to avoid fake identities.)

> If the political commentary incorporates *personal* insults, instead of

There is very specifically no rule against insults on Vortex-L.  However,
people who habitually use personal insults will attract complaints from
the entire community, and then... (see above.)

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci