On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Mark Iverson wrote:

> I think most everyone I'm aware of on this list has apologized at one
> time or another... It's what a person with integrity does when they
> realize their mistake or transgression.

Trademarks of the troll/flamer/fsckhead are, refusal to apologize, plus
use of anonymous IDs to prevent any searches which would expose
discussions of their misbehavior or history of being banned from many
forums.

   Megalothymia - the need to be seen as being superior to other people.

See this article:  http://amasci.com/weird/fsckhead.html
  - A Troll Must Have An Exaggerated Sense of His/Her Own Importance
  - A Troll Must Refuse to Abide By Common Social Rules
  - A Troll Must Never Back Down When Caught In A Lie
  - A Troll Must Keep Coming Back Without Mending His/Her Ways

My own secret: this describes everyone in my family, myself included!
I've grown some since then though.  Seen from inside, additional
characteristics are: demonizing everyone around us, while spouting a
stream of self-praise, self-aggrandizement.  (It's because of an
insecurity so profound that the alternative to self-prase is psychosis.)
Other characteristics are: loner, warrior, solitary hunter, won't keep his
lawn mowed or house painted, won't tolerate crowds, sees other people as
opponents searching for weakness, or as cattle.  We end up as criminals
and transients, but also as police, also as political leaders.  The
village hangman doesn't get invited to many parties, but doesn't really
notice.

> He will, or already has, tried to blame others for

 "Trolls will frequently use a persecution defense when they are asked to
  cease their antisocial behavior. They may claim that they are being
  singled out because of their unpopular viewpoints

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci