Chris Zell wrote:

As to hallucinations, there have been a number of people since the '60's who function very well in responsible jobs despite having them.

People who understand what hallucinations are, and who have been warned to expect them, may not be fooled. People not expecting them, or people suffering from hallucinations or voices from mental disease may well be convinced that they are real. More to the point with regard to UFOs (assuming they are imaginary), society-wide manias and hallucinations have been common throughout history, and there is no reason to think their number is reduced today in modern U.S. society.

People are unaware of the extent to which societies as a whole have gone ape-shit in the past. In the European witch-hunt manias of 14th and 15th centuries, approximately 50,000 to 100,000 women were tortured and burned at the stake. That's a lot of people given the population at the time; it is not far from the proportion of modern "ethnic cleansing" in which millions are killed. In some towns most of the unmarried or elderly women were killed. This was partly done to steal their property, but mainly because of people sincerely believed in witchcraft, and there were plenty of witnesses.

If hundreds of thousands of modern people suffer from the sincere delusion that they have seen UFOs or been abducted, that would not be the least bit surprising, considering how many people honestly believe that they are actually Jesus Christ or some other religious figure, or animals, aliens, movie stars, reincarnated, or famous people such as (in the old days) Napoleon or Anastasia.

The fact that these delusions have common elements is not a bit surprising. They always did in the past. People have limited imaginations and their fantasies or delusions are based on stories they have heard. The variations are about as wide as you see in folk-tales from different districts of pre-modern Japan, when peasants did not travel much.

If eyewitness information is to be ignored so completely and written off as unreliable, then much of our legal system is worthless and little better than selecting individuals for punishment randomly . . .

This is more or less the case. The number of wrongful convictions is very high.

As I said, numerous tests have been done of eyewitness reports in set-up situations (with actors) where the witnesses are normal, sane young college students and the like. Reports written immediately after the incidents are hopelessly garbled. The actors' roles are reversed, and the words they said are grossly misreported. Very often, unconscious race and sex prejudice in the witness distorts the events. This happens even though the witnesses are aware that what they saw was an act. (They are typically not aware it is fake when the incident occurs; that is to say, they are not forewarned.)

Naturally, there are many eyewitness reports of crimes which are entirely reliable. For example, if someone you know commits a crime, it takes a long time, and you are within sight of the person, your report will be highly reliable. Eyewitness reports fail when:

Events occur quickly

Events are extraordinary and not at all expected

The witness does not know the criminal

The witness is terribly frightened (which is not always the case with a crime, for example, not with embezzlement)

Likewise, many of the most dramatic encounters come from airline pilots or law enforcement officers or those charged with defense of our nation . . .

Approximately how many incidents have their been? What is the frequency? How many airline pilots in particular?

Here at the airport where I work, I encounter many pilots, albeit mostly private jets or unscheduled flights such as medivac. They do not strike me as exceptionally sane or reliable people, but then neither do electrochemists, psychiatrists, programmers or other groups I have encountered. All in all, as they say in England, there's naught so strange as folks.