>From Mr Lawrance:

> You don't sound like an annoying broken record.  To be blunt, you sound
> silly, asking that.  I don't think there's any disagreement at all over
> what would constitute an "authentic alien artifact" -- it would be a
> piece of litter left by an authentic alien, and an authentic alien is a
> non-earth creature.  An *authentic* non-imaginary real-type actually
> existing non-earth creature who can potentially drive a flying saucer
> around and maybe crash it on the White House lawn.
>
> PLEASE don't start denying that words which have perfectly clear
> definitions can be defined!  If *you* want to go off and use the word
> "alien" to mean something entirely different, go ahead, but please
> stick to the usual dictionary definition when attempting to hold
> conversations with others in which information will be successfully
> transferred through use of words:
>
>  alien n 3: a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its
>  atmosphere [syn: extraterrestrial being]
>
> (from Wordnet -- there are a number of definitions of 'alien' but I
> don't think anyone here was intending the word to mean, e.g., "a
> foreigner".)
>
> The debate is over the question of whether there are any aliens within
> 2 lightyears of the Sun, and whether there have been any of them flying
> around dropping bits of random cruft on Earth any time in the last few
> decades.  The debate is *NOT* over whether the cruft dropped by an
> alien should be called an "artifact" or not, nor over whether a creature
> from another planet driving around Earth in a flying machine should be
> called an "alien".

Just to be clear on this point I sez (previously):

>> There is a story, an advertisement (I think it came from IBM) that
>> described how a 3rd world tribe found an appropriate use for one of
>> their expedition's laptops - a nutcracker. At least it proved the
>> artifact was constructed well.

Silly me!

A contraire! I think discussions concerning whether there are
legitimate "artifacts" amongst us indigenous folk is just as much a
legitimate a discussion here as compared to whether there are any
aliens within 2 light-years of the Sun and whether some of those
"trips" may have resulted in them having to deal with a flat tire or
two.

But if some of those discarded "lug bolts" don't crack my nuts, and
it's such a simple request I make here, the object of interest is not
likely carry a lot of significance within my sphere of influence.

Incidentally, is "...within 2 light-years" the magic number?

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks