Hi,
[snip]
>At 06:30 PM 9/30/2009, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
>>Note that in at least
>>one of Dr. Oriani's papers he reports ionizing radiation emitted
>>from the vapor
>>above a CF cell.
>
>I don't think that there is any substantial suspicion that this
>radiation results from anything other than decay of radioactive
>products coming from the cathode. (Or maybe some level of radiation
>from the cathode.)

I have a very substantial suspicion that this is caused by reactions in the
vapor itself. Specifically the reaction,

Na-23 + H ==> Ne-20 + He-4 + 2.38 MeV

which after momentum redistribution yields a 1.98 MeV alpha that neatly matches
the energy signature measured by Dr. Oriani. Of course he himself considers this
reaction out of the question due to the high charge on the Sodium nucleus.

>>  I think any interest in the field is due to our common need to
>> find a new source
>>of energy, so I think your belief that people only want to read about lattice
>>based CF is probably misguided.
>
>He didn't say that. He said that people interested in lattice-based
>CF might not like having a lot of papers on a lot of other
>only-peripherally related subjects.

I don't think that non-lattice based CF is "peripheral". In fact, my device, if
it works, will not be based on a lattice at all. (I'm still trying to invent a
lattice based one).

>>I also think that while a lattice may well *frequently* provide the necessary
>>environment, it may not be a *necessary* requirement.
>
>I'm unaware of anything other than muon-catalyzed fusion that
>bypasses the Coulomb barrier, without substantial confinement.

...but confinement without a lattice is possible, as your own example of
muon-catalyzed fusion makes clear. (Muonic molecules constitute a form of
confinement). In fact confinement within a reduced size molecule may well be the
most robust method of achieving fusion.

>It
>might not be a metal lattice; the whole biological transmutation
>approach, we might suspect, would represent protein-catalyzed fusion,
>basically a protein, I assume, setting up confinement conditions that
>facilitate fusion.

What sort of confinement do you have in mind here?

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html