Dear Vorts,

I see by the subject header that some messages on Vortex have been directed at me personally again.

I had thought people on Vortex were more mature than this.

I had thought people on Vortex had less tolerance for personal attacks.

I had thought that personal attacks were unacceptable etiquette here.

Perhaps people on Vortex feel that the rules on Vortex are different for me because of the work I do. If that's the way you want Vortex to be, not a problem. Journalists are used to people coming unglued when we report hard-hitting facts that ruffle people's feathers.

As I told Jed on the phone just now, the press conference was webcast and Adam Dylewski from the ACS News Service was monitoring the chat room and relaying questions from the Web audience.

If Jed "hears" anything else about me, he is welcome to check his facts with me in advance before spreading hearsay and misunderstandings about me.

Steve