At 11:05 AM 3/23/2010, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Nick Palmer wrote:

Perhaps Steve is defining the W-L theoretical reaction (and any other method that does not involve brute force smashing of the Coulomb barrier) as not fusion to differentiate it/them from the popular perceptions of mainstream science that Cold Fusion cannot happen because of the Coulomb barrier and the lack of the "expected" quantity of neutrons.

That is my impression of what he is saying. However, it seems to me that if you start with light elements and end up with heavy ones, that's fusion, as Abd explained. It seems to me that saying it isn't fusion is making a distinction without a difference.

It is certainly not beyond the pale to argue that the term "fusion" is politically inconvenient or unwise. However, I did quite a bit of work with a largely skeptical community, and I can tell you exactly what they thought about "LENR" and "CMNS." They beleived that these were attempts to whitewash the reality, it was all about "cold fusion."

Note that I fully support the use of these terms, LENR (CANR), and Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. It is appropriate, because it avoids even a well-established hypothesis.

That fusion is taking place, i.e., the synthesis of high-Z elements from lower-Z constituents. In my book, if you could somehow mash four neutrons together, with them emitting two electrons and leaving a helium nucleus behind, you'd have accomplished fusion. Hey, maybe the neutrons could just remain as the captured neutrons of the helium atom!

Fusion. Fusion. Fusion. Sometimes it is necessary to deny repression and refuse to conceal one's disagreement.

Krivit's political strategy, if that's what it is, to "protect" LENR research by using a different name, won't work. At all.

But he goes much further, attacking some of the best researchers in the field, claiming misbehavior where there is no reasonable evidence of it. He finds some slip or anomaly and leaps from that to a conspiracy to promote the "fusion theory," though, in fact, every understanding of what's going on, that isn't simple "Artifact! Bogus! Mistake!" is that fusion is taking place. I'll leave out hydrino theory, which sort of straddles a gap, and which is just as unpopular, if not more unpopular.