Dear Jed,
Let's see first if if was Focardi. So much is lost in translations!

This is the reason for which- working in research I have learned the
important European languages- German, Russian, French, Italian- a bit of
Spanish. This was very useful for my work.
I have envied you for reading, speaking  Japanese- I couldn't however my
former secretary, a very intelligent lady has learned it at a high level.
And says it has a wonderful logic.

Peter