[The Rossi reactor]

Bologna, January 14, 2011

by Jed Rothwell

The experiment has been underway at U. Bologna since
mid-December 2010.  It has been done several times. Several
professors with expertise in related subjects such as
calorimetry are involved.

LIST OF MAIN EQUIPMENT IN EXPERIMENT

A hydrogen tank mounted on a weight scale which is accurate
to 0.1 g

10 liter tank reservoir, which is refilled as needed during
the run

Displacement pump

Tube from pump to Rossi device (The Rossi device is known
as an "ECat")

Outlet tube from the Rossi device, which emits hot water
or steam

Thermocouples in the reservoir, ambient air and the
outlet tube

An HD37AB1347 IAQ Monitor (Delta Ohm) to measure the
relative humidity of the steam. This is to confirm that
it is “dry steam”; that is, steam only, with no water
droplets.

Alternating-current heater used to bring the Rossi device
up the working temperature

METHOD

The reservoir water temperature is measured at 13°C,
ambient air at 23°C.

The heater is set to about 1000 W to heat up the Rossi
device. Hydrogen is admitted to the Rossi device.

The displacement pump is turned on, injecting water into
the Rossi device at 292 ml/min.

The water comes out as warm water at first, then as a
mixture of steam and water, and finally after about 30
minutes, as dry steam. This is confirmed with the relative
humidity meter.

As the device heats up, heater power is reduced to around
400 W.

RESULTS

The test run on January 14 lasted for 1 hour. After the
first 30 minutes the outlet flow became dry steam. The
enthalpy during this last 30 minutes can be computed very
simply, based on the heat capacity of water (4.2 kJ/kgK)
and heat of vaporization of water (2260 kJ/kg):

Mass of water 8.8 kg

Temperature change 87°C

Energy to bring water to 100°C: 87°C*4.2*8.8 kg = 3,216 kJ

Energy to vaporize 10 kg of water: 2260*8.8 = 19,888 kJ

Total: 23,107 kJ

Duration 30 minutes = 1800 seconds

Power 12,837 W, minus auxiliary power ~12 kW

There were two potential ways in which input power might
have been measured incorrectly: heater power, and the
hydrogen, which might have burned if air had been present
in the cell.

The heater power was measured at 400 W. It could not have
been much higher that this, because it is plugged into an
ordinary wall outlet.  Even if a wall socket could supply
12 kW, the heater electric wire would burn.

During the test runs the weight of the hydrogen tank did
not measurably decrease, so less than 0.1 g of hydrogen
was consumed. 0.1 g of hydrogen is 0.1 mole, which makes
0.05 mole of water. The heat of formation of water is 286
kJ/mole, so if the hydrogen had been burned it would have
produced less than 14.3 kJ.

I uploaded that to the News section. I was tempted to add:
"Hey, Richard Garwin: here's your cuppa tea, big guy!"

I will soon upload a more detailed description by Mike
Melich, and I hope I can add Prof. Levi's report.

I think it is all but certain these results are real. They
cannot be a mistake, and fraud seems unlikely to me.

- Jed

---------

Jones wrote:

Here is the website of the company founded by Andrea Rossi
and others a few years ago. This company funded and owns
the technology in question.

http://www.lti-global.com/index.php

However, apparently there has been  some kind of
falling-out with Rossi, and as you can see there is no
mention of any of this on the website. It seems he is
being marginalized.

The company has changed focus to so-called
"clean-coal". Sad. They have no comment about Rossi,
who was operating out of a different branch (New
Hampshire). They have large DARPA grants, unrelated to
the LENR cell, and do not want to compromise those.

You may or may not agree, but it is clear to me that
this drama in Bologna was hastily staged, not ready for
prime-time, and will end up being a disaster for Rossi
and LENR in general - when all of the details emerge.

First off, he will sell not a single unit in the USA
without an NRC license, which is complicated, costly and
takes years.

As for Europe, where the need for inexpensive energy is
greater, who knows?  The best thing that could happen,
IMHO, is that the Italian military, their Pentagon
equivalent, will take over the program and work something
out with LTI as to the IP.

Jones

-----------

Jed wrote:

I revised the H2 flow measurement part already.

The first report I will upload today is by Melich. This
week or next we should have one by Prof. Levi.

These people are busy, which is why it took so long
for them to give my report the once-over, and even they
overlooked the part about weighing the H2 bottle. That
is what they told me -- I have the handwritten notes,
but it is clearly wrong.

The part about the electric wires I observed myself,
from the video and photos. It is just a "reality check"
observation.

I would like to know more about how the steam was
condensed. They must have flushed it out of the room, down
a drain. Otherwise they would end up with a very hot large
bucket of water. Someone here correctly pointed out that
venting that much steam into the room would make it like
a steam bath. A medium size water heater at Home Depot is
5.5 kW. A sauna takes about 6 kW, I think.

Jed

-----------

Stephen wrote:

Jones, I often disagree with you, but this time I have
to say your suspicions ring a chord.  Something doesn't
smell right here.

Please check me on this, because I'm not sure I've got
it right.  And feel free to yell at me; I realize I'm
going kind of far on not much evidence.

* The basic work for this process was done by other
(clearly legitimate) researchers some years back, but the
usual problems with reproducibility etc dogged them.

* Rossi, apparently building on that earlier work, has
found the Holy Grail:  He can produce large quantities
of high grade heat on demand with a reproducible process.
/Everybody in the field wants this.  Heck, almost everybody
on Earth who knows anything about energy wants this./

* When answering questions about this, Rossi seems to
downplay the truly earthshaking nature of this work,
saying it's something that works, doesn't matter how, and
he wants to sell heaters.  (I _/think/_ I got that right --
from a post of Jed's but I don't have it in front of me
right now.)  /I have the impression that he never talks
about how he's leapfrogged everybody and how fabulous this
result is ... is that right?

* I don't see any acknowledgment in Rossi's comments of the
serious difficulties which may arise in attempting to go
straight to a salable product.  /This all sounds so much
like what we've seen of perpetual motion machine vendors
... they downplay the earth-shattering theoretical aspects
and talk about how they're just going to sell devices./

* Nobody knows the details of the process except Rossi.

* Rossi is keeping the secret ingredient secret so nobody
can steal his work.  Failure to reveal all has interfered
with getting a patent.  It has also made it impossible for
anyone to attempt a replication.  /If he says he's going
to reveal it at the end of the patent process, that means
another two years before he tells anyone what was in the
box -- if I understood what I read on Vortex.  And until
someone has enough information to attempt a replication,
there's no solid way to test his claims./

* Rossi, unlike the earlier workers, is apparently not a
trained physicist or electrochemist.  In fact, from what
I've read here, it's not clear what his degree is in, or
if he's got one.  By all means yell at me if I've got this
wrong, but if I've got it right, it's an important point --
outsiders can make breakthroughs, and dishonest outsiders
can make breakthroughs too, but darn, it's /rare/.

* Rossi has a past which includes possible con-artist work.
If this isn't a huge red flag I don't know the meaning of
the word "red flag".

It seems to me there's just one piece missing from the
puzzle:  Is there a financial incentive for this demo?
In short,  */are there investors in the background?/*  If
there are, then there's a financial incentive for Rossi
to produce a convincing demo, and in that case I'd say
/hold onto your wallet/.

Now, Jed has said some interesting things about this:

* "They should not try to sell practical devices at
this stage.  Sooner or later they will run into huge
problems..."

If Rossi really has the Grail, then Jed's comment is
presumably correct, and this isn't the best approach.
But if Rossi is faking it, then a black-box demo is
/exactly/ what he needs to do in order to keep investment
dollars coming in.

* "... I did not get the sense he is trying to scam
someone, or hide something ... " "I have talked to many
researchers and inventors who seemed much less honest."

Of course.  If Rossi's not on the up-and-up, then one
thing's sure:  He's really good at fooling people.   Good
con artists may /seem/ totally honest.  Honest people are
often not as careful to /appear/ honest as dishonest ones!

* "I do not follow the work of Mills closely, but I am not
aware that he has demonstrated a heat-producing device as
impressive as this, or on such a large scale. Needless to
say, no other cold fusion researcher has come close."

Yes, indeed, Rossi hit a home run first crack out of
the box.  It's as though Edison demonstrated a 1000 watt
mercury vapor floodlight as his first lightbulb.  Is it
too good to be true?

* "I cannot think of any way this result could be faked."

Right -- Rossi's good.  But there's a black box in the
middle.  As far as I know, nobody who watched the Statue
of Liberty disappear a few years back caught on to how it
was done.

In summary, I really, really, really don't like "black box"
demonstrations in an area where everybody is desperate
for a solution.

--------