At 08:45 PM 2/25/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <<mailto:a...@lomaxdesign.com>a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

Why does this sound so familiar?

"Until someone can propose a plausible mechanism that will explain cold fusion, I will consider it impossible."

Wrong comparison. The comparison you should make is:

"Until someone can prove otherwise, I am sure that cold fusion is a mistake."

If you have no evidence it is a mistake, that hypothesis is not allowed. No evidence it is fake, that hypothesis is out.

Uh, Jed, what I wrote was about parallel language, "familiar." You had written this:

Impossible. Until someone can propose a plausible a way to fake the two Rossi demos, I will consider that impossible. Without specifics, the claim that "it might be faked" cannot be tested or falsified.

I noticed the parallel between "util someone can propose a plausible way to fake the two Rossi demos" (your language) and what I've heard from skeptics, over and over, a drumbeat: "until someone can propose a plausible mechanism that will explain cold fusion."

Sorry, this is a report of a personal experience, not a claim of identity. I'm seeing a similar kind of logic. "Until someone can prove otherwise," what you now introduce, is quite different.

Any hypothesis has to be supported by evidence. It is a positive assertion. It has no meaning without supporting evidence. It cannot be right or wrong.

Well, we can make hypotheses with little evidence. It is not usually "none," even if the evidence is not stated. Stated as a hypothesis, it's correct, it cannot be right or wrong. Period. It doesn't matter if there is evidence or not! A hypothesis with lots of evidence can be wrong, and one with no evidence may be right. Lucky guess. But, as I said, "no evidence" is rare. Unstated evidence is much more common.

A plausible mechanism, on the other hand, is not needed to support an observation because the observation alone is the positive assertion. There are any number of unexplained observations. As long as you can prove cells divide, you don't need to explain the mechanism (DNA, in this case).

You are correct about not needing evidence for observations. However, the trouble typically comes in with the interpretation of observations. What we call observations are often complex conclusions, inferred or deduced from observations. There are degrees to this, in a sense every "observation" is an inference, indirect, at least as tranlated into language....

Very philosophical. All about pointing out that my general observation <-- that word! is that it's possible to create very convincing fakes, often by playing on assumptions. Such as a limitation on power that could be transferred through a power cord of a certain size. Yes, I'm sure there is a limit, but a series of assumptions were made in Jed's comments on this, and magicians play on and use common -- but inaccurate under the special conditions of the "trick" -- assumptions of the observer.

As a practical matter, regarding this particular hypothesis, stage magicians do not have detailed knowledge or skill in physics or chemistry.

Oh, then never mind. Obviously, since Rossi has some detailed knowledge or skill in physics or chemistry, he culd not possibly be a magician.

Uh, Earth to Jed! I'm talking about human ingenuity. Are you saying that Rossi could not possibly be ingenious enough to create a fake demo?

They would not know how to do an experiment that would confuse a professor of physics.

That's correct. It would take a magician familiar with physics, perhaps. Certainly that would be the case here. Ordinarily, magicians can fool physicists about as well as they can fool anyone else. But in this case, the fooling would be about creating an impression for a physicist, so, yes, knowledge of physics would be necessary. The demo would not be impressive to a short-order cook, perhaps. Or maybe it would.... I don't want to underestimate the capacity of a short-order cook to appreciate fine magic!

[...]
It is at least plausible that Rossi has hired cat burglars who sneaked into the university and changed the watt meter and thermocouples to produce false readings. That is physically possible. The notion that a stage magician could accomplish something like this on site as the experiment is underway by swapping the meter when no one is looking is ruled out by video and computer data recordings.

Ah, if this demo was at the university and Rossi had no access to the power arrangements, his device was just brought in and plugged in, the speculations about wiring are completely off. This would take collusion or a "cat burglar," so to speak. Could be done. I can imagine this as the plot of some TV intelligence agency mystery. But it all gets much more complicated. Factory demo, far easier.

The thing gets much more difficult if that tin-foil thing was carried into a neutral site and the apparatus was plugged in. The high-voltage idea is out.

Tell me again, what is the harm of allowing a patent on a perpetual motion machine? If the "inventor" pays the fees?

It would take up valuable time of Patent Office examiners. It would be like paying them to dig holes and fill them up. We should not ask professionals to waste their time doing pointless things outside their job description.

The applicant pays for the time, presumably, with the application fee. This is very poor thinking, and what you've done, Jed, is to justify the application of impossibility theories to patents. That's precisly why cold fusion patents were rejected.

The job description of a patent examiner should not be to determine the practical or economic feasibility of the invention. It should be to determine if the patent conflicts with others, and if it is adequately described to allow independent construction by those familiar with the necessary arts.