Jeff Driscoll <hcarb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Aluminum at 83.8 MJ/l would last 1.45 hours so it is too low by a factor of
> 12 (because 18 hours divided by 1.45 hours equals 12).  But this is for
> solid aluminum and solid aluminum is almost 4 times more dense than powdered
> aluminum.  So if Rossi had used 1 liter of powdered aluminum he would only
> get 0.38 hours (or 23 minutes) of 16 kW of heat output.

Powdered aluminum is an explosive. I believe it was used in WWII air-dropped
bombs. In the 1950s it was developed into a slurry explosive. See:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/blu-82.htm

"Daisy Cutter"

This is a 15,000 lb bomb that has 12,600 lbs of aluminum powder.

Several of the proposed chemical reactions could not be controlled except
with elaborate delivery systems, which could not fit into the 1 L mystery
box. Even non-elaborate delivery systems such as 12 kW gas burners would not
fit. The burners in a 12 kW gas water heater take up far more space than 1
L. Also, as I mentioned, canisters of H2 and O2 placed inside the box at
these high temperature would explode.

I think this is not intended to be an analysis of what might have actually
happened, since it is obvious that none of the proposed reactions could
actually occur in only 1 L at such high temperatures. I think this is a look
at the extreme limits of chemical reactions, ignoring practical
considerations such as the fact that the fuel would explode, or it would
emit toxic smoke and kill the observers. It is interesting as such.