Horace

Let's look at 58Ni specifically which is over 2/3 of all nickel

*  The energy deficits for Ni are all huge. For  example (energy deficits in
square brackets):

58Ni28 + p* --> 59Cu29 * + 3.419 MeV [-6.329 MeV] --> 59Ni28 + neutrino +
~2.6 MeV

Ok, as I interpret your theory, part of the large 6.3 MeV "deficit" could
conceivably function as 'makeup' for zero point energy already removed from
the Rossi device by another mechanism, but let's not go into that other
mechanism for now. This is the part I like, even if you do not interpret it
this way.

However, there is a problem with converting a deflated proton into a neutron
without a neutrino, even with an energy deficit. It is almost like saying
that part of this deficit takes the place of the missing neutrino, and it is
the same neutrino that shows up on the other side of the equation, so it
cannot be 'borrowed' in the QM sense since the arrow of time goes the other
way.

Anyway, even if we can get past that one, the next problem resolves to the
59Ni and that large amount of 'real' energy 2.6 MeV. Even if most of the
energy were carried away by the neutrino, most of the time - in practice
there is always secondary gamma or bremsstrahlung from weak force reactions,
which should have shown up. Is there an example in nature of a
radiation-free weak force reaction?

And even if there is one which can be tailored for this, the third problem
is the 59Ni remaining in the ash. This isotope is commonly used in medicine
IIRC, with a well-known Auger emission cascade on EC which Levi would have
immediately recognized. This is the most problematic of all, given Rossi's
lack of radioactivity in the ash.

What am I missing to tie up these lose ends ?

Jones

BTW - did you ever have a look at the Nyman paper ?

http://dipole.se/

Go down to "Strong Force between Two Protons". I think it has relevance to
deflated protons in a reaction that does not involve nickel. Simulations
made with two different kinds of physics software both show the following:

1) Two protons placed closely together [IRH] will repel each other most of
the time.

2) Two protons shot at each other will repel each other most of the time.

3) However, it is occasionally possible to shoot protons at each other with
the right speed and quark positions so that they latch on to each other -
held in place for an indeterminate time by the Strong Force.

Added to Nyman's work is this:

4) The two protons have negative binding energy, so many things could
happen.

5) This is where the 'quark soup' metaphor may come into play

At any rate - everyone can probably guess that what I am struggling with is
to find any possible nuclear reaction of protons, especially a deficit
energy reaction of deflated protons, that can never result in gammas, but
can operate to level a zero point field imbalance.

This probably means the ash must be "dark matter" of some type.