On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Jouni Valkonen <jounivalko...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Well, that would explain the temperature regulation, but it's not exactly
> > the same, because there is no pump pushing whatever is in the ecat,
> > vaporized or not, out. In the case of the teapot, the exiting steam
> leaves
> > as it is produced, and so it would be forgiving of fluctuations in the
> power
> > or input flow rate. That is, the output mass flow rate does not have to
> > match the input flow rate.
> > But the ecat is not open like that. The output mass flow rate must match
> the
> > input. So, even if the flow rate matched the output of dry steam, a very
> > small decrease in the flow rate or a very small increase in the power
> would
> > show up as a substantial increase in the steam temperature.
> > The ecat is not a tea pot. Get used to it.
>
> To say this you need to know exactly how much water E-Cat can contain
> in liquid form. If you cannot answer that then your argument does not
> have any relevance, because you lack crucial details of the
> experiment. You can make tea pots with water pump, but you need to
> know what is the volume of the teapot.

If you want to know the volume, look at the photos, estimate the volume of
the cylinder, subtract 50 mL for the reactor, and maybe as much again for
the steel around it. I don't see the relevance, so I'm not going to do it.

> It is important that tea pot does not overflow,

It's not a tea pot. The water flows past the reactor horizontally. It comes
in cold on one side, and exits hot or gaseous on the other. It's not like a
tea pot.

because it messes up
> calculations, because steam is not dry anymore.

Well yes, but nature does not pay any attention to Rossi's desire for his
calculations to be unmessed.

If there is not enough power, the output will not be dry steam, messed up
calculations or not. And if the power exceeds 600W, but is below 4 kW, the
output has to be a mixture of liquid and gas.

Therefore E-Cat's
> inner volume has to be big enough to account power fluctuations
> because peak power can surge over 120 kW. On the other hand if all the
> water boils away, core temperature may rise too high.
>
> But you're claiming all the water does boil away. Of course, part of the
reactor near the cold water input will always be wet, but according to the
claim, as the water passes by the reactor it is all converted to steam, so
at the output of the reactor, the fluid is pure steam.