At 03:26 PM 7/19/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

In my opinion, Kullander made some mistakes, and he should simply acknowledge them and move on.

Where, in his report, are these mistakes? Someone here claimed that he did not measure input power, when the report clearly states he did.

He measured input power at one point, he did not measure it continously. You know an odd thing? Jed actually claims that Rossi adjusts the input power, in order to match boiloff, so that the E-cat neither overflows nor runs dry. Really? Input power is being varied? Then ... how do we know what it is if we don't measure it for the whole demonstration? So that we are talking about the same thing, here's the report in question:

http://www.nyteknik.se/incoming/article3144960.ece/BINARY/Download+the+report+by+Kullander+and+Ess%C3%A9n+%28pdf%29.

This report only mentions measuring input power at turn-on. Not later. Small point, but an important one. Some unstated assumptions are being made.

Simple, clean and clear. He reported what he saw and based some speculations on that, without having thoroughly investigated, that's all.

I see no evidence for that.

What I'm aware of as problems are the steam quality "measurement" that wasn't, a minor thing, probably . .

An imaginary thing. You believe it, he doesn't. Don't blame him because he disagrees with you, and do not assume he is wrong.

He has not disagreed with me. Jed, you have disagreed with me, he has not. He made a statement, I'll quote it. I disagree with it, as to what it implies. I am, thus, disagreeing with his statement, not exactly with him. He has not responded to this criticism of his statement. Therefore he cannot be said to have disagreed with it. You've confused your own intepretations with the truth. Mistake.

Here is what he wrote about steam quality:

Between 11:00 and 12:00 o’clock, control measurements were done on how much water that had not evaporated. The system to measure the non-evaporated water was a certified Testo System, Testo 650, with a probe guaranteed to resist up to 550°C. The measurements showed that at 11:15 1.4% of the water was non-vaporized, at 11:30 1.3% and at 11:45 1.2% of the water was non-vaporized. The energy produced inside the device is calculated to be (1.000-0.013)(16:30-10:45)4.39 =25 kWh.

I'll repeat the issue. A Testo System, as described, cannot measure the "non-evaporated water," apparently. Lots of people have pointed out the problem. That's a relative humidity meter, and measuring steam quality is complex and difficult. The meter has a scale that will read g/m^3 for water vapor, but this is, apparently, reading the content of the vapor, and there is no way to relate this to steam quality; that is, steam of any quality, at a certain temperature and pressure, will read the same. It's a calculated value. So my first question for Kullander, "Exactly how did you use the Testo device, which does not have a "steam quality" function, a function that will express total quantity of unevaporated water (how could it?), to determine the quantity of non-evaporated water."

The second problem with this is that it would completely miss any liquid water runoff. We know, from the other tests (such as the Krivit video and the Mats Lewan report), that there is water in the hose. Is this condensed water (representing evaporated water later condensed) or is this runoff water? To the extent that there is any runoff water, overflow, the calculation of energy produced will be erroneous, overestimating the energy. I see no sign that the two forms of outlet water have been discriminated, therefore we have no information (or incomplete information) on "how much water ... had not evaporated."

Jed, I see no sign that Kullander has responded to this anywhere. That means that there is no basis for your claim that he disagrees. The recent blog post quoted here actually provides a rumor that he is privately backing off. That *is* just a rumor, but there is more basis for it, in fact, than your statement that Kullander "disagrees." Have you spoken to him, do you have information to pass along like that?

You and others here have convinced yourselves there are problems where no problems exist. First you dream up something that might be wrong. Then you assume it is wrong. Then you assume E&K did not address it -- when in most cases their report shows they did. You get carried away by your own imagination, in a dialog with yourself, the way Groucho Marx as president of Freedonia went to war:

Cool. I love Groucho Marx, I'm glad to be like him in some way.

E&K did not address the issues in the report. If they did, I've missed it. There may have been an opportunity to address the issues in the brief interview with Krivit, but Krivit didn't ask the necessary questions, instead getting stuck on this silly volume thing, a total red herring.

If E&K did address the issues, can you show where?

There are, by the way, additional issues, I've just mentioned two that loom large as obvious problems. The first, steam quality, would normally have little impact, though it is possible that a device could be constructed to produce *really wet steam* to amplify and apparent effect. The second, overflow water, has a major impact. If E&K had, in fact, addressed both these issues, initially, that report would be much stronger. As it is, it still does create an impression of some excess heat, from the temperature behavior. That's a bit weak, but not nothing.