Peter Gluck wrote:

The issue is why Rossi prefers steam, when for demonstrating the potential of the E-cat- simply heating water is straigtforward.

As I said, my feeling is that he prefers steam because it proves the thing works at high temperature. Also, it is a little more convenient to work with. The flow of water is lower and you can use a weight scale instead of a flow meter. As I have said here, flow meters tend to be a pain in the butt.

Beyond that I cannot say why Rossi favors the steam approach. You could ask him but he probably will not respond.

It is a shame he is not willing to do a better test heating water, but he has said emphatically several times that he will not do this. I doubt anyone can persuade him to change his mind. I gave up several weeks ago.

Rossi does not agree that there is a problem with the steam tests. I think he is mostly right, and the problems have been greatly exaggerated. He does not agree that the instrumentation and documentation in all of these tests and in his recent trade-show style demonstrations has been second-rate. We disagree about that. Frankly, I think he is sloppy. * So are many other brilliant inventors. So are many professors. Just because a person is good at experiments and good at discovering things, it does follow that the person is neat, organized, or good at presenting the findings in a convincing fashion. Unfortunately, Rossi does not realize his own limitations. He does not see that the presentation and instrumentation was unconvincing, except to people like me who have done many similar tests and know how these things work. Apparently, Levi also does not see the problems, or he does not care whether people believe him or not. Or, perhaps he is busy. I, along with many others, advised these people about various ways that they could improve the instrumentation with things like better flow meters, redundant temperature sensors and so on. They evinced no interest in following our suggestions, publishing more information, or re-running the tests. It is regrettable.

Fortunately, none of this matters. Rossi was able to transfer the knowledge to Defkalion. I hope they will present it to the public soon in more convincing tests and demonstrations, and I hope they will sell commercial units on schedule at the end of the year. I think they will.

- Jed

* Actually in this case, I am thinking of him in Japanese and the word that comes to mind is "iikagen" (いいかげん), meaning sloppy, remiss, perfunctory, half-baked, slapdash, and a bunch of other things less flattering, but I do not have them in mind:

http://eow.alc.co.jp/%E3%81%84%E3%81%84%E3%81%8B%E3%81%92%E3%82%93/UTF-8/?ref=sa

A multifaceted word, handy for parents: "iikagen ni shinasai!" -- That's enough out of you. (In other words, shut up!)