2011/8/9 Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>:
> Jouni Valkonen <jounivalko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This also means that ictu oculi is very unreliable
>> way to make reliable confirmation.
>
> He withdrew the probe and looked at it. It was dry. It would wet if there
> was water flowing through the machine. This is very reliable; anyone can see
> if an object is wet or dry.

I guess, you missed my point. When Galantini observed ictu oculi, the
E-Cat was not yet overflowing, because it may take several tens of
minutes if not hours before water level rises enough to start
overflowing, depending what fraction of inflow water is vaporized.
Therefore ictu oculi is not reliable method in 45 min demonstration.
But it needs other supporting evidence. And we have absolutely none.

This does not mean that it supports that E-Cat is a fake. No, it only
means that ictu oculi is scientifically irrelevant observation here,
and it tells next to nothing what fraction of water was vaporized.

>> [speculation] My interpretation for the June E-Cat is that Rossi did
>> not show Krivit a working E-Cat, but only version where was only
>> electric heater active(!).
>
> Assuming the machine works, why
> would he bother to construct a fake machine?

It is not a fake machine, but normal E-Cat turned off. Perhaps Rossi
just did not want to go all the efforts to set up working E-Cat just
for a 15 min demonstration for a journalist. Would you? In specially,
if you have doubts that particular journalist is a snake? However this
was not the case with Mats Lewan, whose E-Cat worked as it should. And
it produced around 2kW excess heat.

> What would be Rossi's motive?
> Not only is there no conceivable advantage to showing a fake one, it could
> easily cause problems. Krivit or some other observer might detect a fake
> machine, after all.

Thats the point of this speculation. Rossi wanted to discredit
himself! Because he set up a dummy demonstration for very critical
observer. And for sure, Rossi has followed more than 22 years cold
fusion research, he knew everything how scientifically rigorous Steven
is, and Rossi was absolutely sure that Krivit will rise huge complaint
about the claims. But here we can only guess the real motive for
Rossi.

> The calculations were perfectly correct.

Point was how the calculations were presented. Correctness here is
irrelevant not least, because they were based on various non-measured
assumptions such as that the voltage was assumed to be 220V (although
it probably was more close to 235V).

- Jouni