At 01:47 PM 8/9/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Jouni Valkonen <<mailto:jounivalko...@gmail.com>jounivalko...@gmail.com> wrote:

And if we look Rossi's presentation when he did "calculations" he treated Krivit's audience like he would assume that Krivit was doing journalism to some tabloid news paper(!).

That is nonsense. The calculations were perfectly correct. They were straight from any chemistry or physics textbook. There was nothing odd about them. They were not simplified, if that is what you mean.

There are two problems I know of with those calculations: the assumption of full vaporization, which is almost certainly off by about 5% and which could be off by much more. And he used the wrong voltage. Standard is 230 V, not 220. Really, it should have been measured.

I do not know why you put the word "calculations" in quotes, as if this is somehow incorrect. You could include more terms to compute the heat balance with more precision, but the method Rossi used was a good first approximation. There has been a lot of speculation here that you have to include a measurement to ensure the steam is dry, but according to every expert and every textbook, that is incorrect. No such term is needed; it is safe to assume no more than 10% wetness.

Normally. Overflow water completely whacks that assumption. I'm also willing to bet that one could design a boiler that would produce very wet steam. I'd think 50% would be easy to reach, and probably over 95% wet.