Abd wrote:
"You are, however, assuming that Galantini could tell that the chimney had no
liquid water in it at
the level of the thermometer, because he withdrew the probe and "observed that
it was dry."
[deleted sentence]
"Has it occurred to you that steam doesn't come out of the thermometer port
when the thermometer is
removed? Do you realize what this is telling us about the internal details
there? This port must be
designed to seal, I'm suspecting. It will "wipe off" the thermometer when it is
removed. Even if it
did not do this, the thermometer is above boiling, and is designed not to hold
water, I suspect, the
water will not remain on it, it will be at most a very thin film and it will
immediately vaporize
when removed, before the hot thermometer can cool."

That might be valid reasoning IF that is the sensor that Galantini was
referring to, HOWEVER, I
doubt it was...

1) In Galantini's report, it is clear that he was looking at several different
sensors.
2) I seriously doubt that the RH sensor would physically fit in the opening
where the outlet
temperature sensor is located.
3) Thus, you are very likely mistaken when you state that he is removing the
temperature sensor to
determine if it is dry.  However, he would NEED to check for condensation on
the RH sensor, as I did
when testing my RH sensor at home... This also verifies that the water level in
the chimney has not
risen.

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THE FOLLOWING:

Did Galantini remove the outlet hose in order to make the RH measurements?
   (from which he gets the g/m^3 measurement for mass of evaporated water).
If not, then where did he insert the RH probe?

-Mark