Overall I do agree with you, especially as cell A was a Ni plated stainless rod and it produces more power than did the Ni plated Ni rod. However I do plan to replicate the original Piantelly / Focardi cell design as closely as I can and how they produced, processed and H loaded the Ni rods.

Once I have that data set, I will start trying other Ni samples, like your Ni pipe suggestion with internal heater (which I like) and the Ni powder.

On 11/8/2011 5:39 PM, peter.heck...@arcor.de wrote:

----- Original Nachricht ----
Von:     Aussie Guy E-Cat<aussieguy.e...@gmail.com>
An:      vortex-l@eskimo.com
Datum:   08.11.2011 07:28
Betreff: Re: [Vo]:Focardi 1998 cell replication

I have read Focardi did heat treat the Ni rod, which I also intend to
do. I also understand there can be problems with the Ni rod becoming H
loaded and producing heat when there is no external heating applied. I
do note Focardi does show a vacuum supply that can be applied to the
cell and with his 300 watts of thermal heat, the rod would get quite hot
as in a vacuum, it's ability to radiate heat away would be reduced.

Here is a question I'm sure Vortex can answer a lot quicker and easier
than I can.

Assuming a 10mm dia Ni rod 50 mm long, inserted inside a high temp
ceramic coil form, which is wrapped with high temp wire and in a vacuum.
How much power would need to be applied to get the Ni rod to 500 deg C?
Is this possible or would I need to use a more exotic heat source? IE
how to get a Ni rod to 500 deg C in a vacuum without breaking my several
thousand dollar budget?

The reaction is probably a surface effect, it is unlikely that the hydrogen
diffused deep into the nickel rod.

You could use a nickel pipe and place the heater inside. Very low power should
be needed to heat it to 500°
in a vacuum. 500° is equivalent to red hot glowing iron, nothing
special,commercial heaters are available.
Placing the heater inside should avoid parasitic thermal energy losses and
improve the COP much (if there is any) and should make the proof much easier.
Dont understand why Focardi&  Piantelly  had not this thought, I think, this is
rather obvious.
They always choose the most distant confusing and difficult way this makes me
doubt about their seriousness.

Such an arrangement, but much smaller, is found in electronic vacuuum valves as
cathode. They use a small nickel pipe (barium oxide coated) with the heater
inside as a cathode.