Many universities and prominent institutes make experiments with metal powder
and hydrogen.
The Max Planck Institute for example examines the heat storge capacity at 400°
for such arrangements.
They also mill powder in ball mills in hydrogen athmossphere to research the
hydrogen storage capacity.
Many others do similar experiments and research.
They try all tricks possible to optimize the effects. Anomalous energy is not
reported.
They have probly tried any arrangements one could think about.
So I think, all chemicals can been excluded as a catalyst.

I remember experiments that I made in my youth: rebuilding Marconis wireless
telegraph.
As a receiver I used a glass tube filled with iron powder. 2 electrodes where
in the iron powder, a battery, a lamp and the antenna and ground where
connected to it.
In german the name of this device is "Kohärer".

When this arrangement receives RF frequency, the iron particles melt together,
the arrangement becomes conductive and the lamp lits up. When the glass tube is
shuttered, the melting points are broken and the current is interrupted.
This can be repeated ad infinitum.
They used this in early history of wireles telegraphy in combination with an
electromagnetic hammer, and automated the process.

Without doubt, if the current is high enough, high temperatures will develop at
the microscopical contact points.
If the current is too high the process is not reversible.
Rossi mentioned high temperatures (1500°C) inside his device. It is clear, that
at the melting points there is high temperature.
It is clear this would not work with nanopowder. The particles would glue
together irreversible. There must be a optimal particle size that is above the
nanometer scale.

Could this be the catalyst? High frequency and low DC current applied to the
powder at the same time in a hydrogen athmosphere?

Peter