Am 16.11.2011 09:50, schrieb Joshua Cude:

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Marcello Vitale <mvit...@ucsbalum.net <mailto:mvit...@ucsbalum.net>> wrote:

    I remember a graduate student in a group in which I was a postdoc,
    crying (crying!) over a series of IR spectra that resulted from
    her latest series of experiments, saying "I will never graduate,
    this system just does not work, everything just turns to crap". I
    looked it over and told her to go show them to the prof. "He's
    going to hug you for these". It was not crap at all, the reaction
    was not stopping where supposed but continuing in an unexpected
    and new way forming new species until that point never observed.
    In other words, a discovery (published on the Journal of the
    American Chemical Society) instead of a third decimal
    quantification of a known phenomenon (to be published at most in a
    small journal). But it was going to be tossed out as crap.

But it wasn't. The value may have been overlooked by a graduate student, but both you and the professor recognized it. And you seemed to think it was obvious enough to be sure the professor would recognize it.

Obviously it's true that sometimes real phenomena are missed or dismissed as crap when they are not expected, but H-Ni has not just been looked at by a graduate student. It has been widely and extensively studied by very many people. And fusion, or the claimed heat from nuclear reactions, is not a subtle thing. If something had an energy density a million times higher than could be explained by chemistry, it's not likely to have been missed, especially since H-Ni nuclear reactions have been claimed for almost 2 decades, by people looking for it.
So far I have read, 10e26 atoms must fuse persecond for a kilowatt or 10e23 atoms persecond for a watt. On the other side, high ignition energy is required to get fusion. It is therefore more probable to discover unexpected radiation or transmutation products than excess energy in experiments.

Radiation measurement and chemical analysis are very sensitive methods and if nothing reproducible was discovered by accident during worldwide chemical and physical research of metalhydrides is a little bit strange.

However in the Marconi "Kohärer", there exist sparcs and melting metal, possibly vaporized metal and high temperature gradients in microscopic regions with a high total inner surface and at 1500° remarkable amounts of hydrogen are atomized (if Langmuire was right about this) and this is something that probably nobody has tried in a pressurized hydrogen athmosphere before, because such experiments are not necessary for metalhydride research. Possibly this should be tried, because this was not done before.