On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you came from a community that did not use levers and never
> developed the rudiments of lever science, how would you react upon
> hearing a story that one man shifted a stone with a branch that you
> KNOW from the stones description should require at least 8 strong men?
>
> Is the story a tall tale? Was this man a giant? Perhaps the stone was
> hollow.
> If he is an ordinary man and the story is accurate, then he is a
> magician who knows the magic of the lever.

If he claimed to be able to perform this feat because of a new technology
that I was unfamiliar with, then I might be skeptical, but open to
observing a demonstration. If he described the method saying he would use a
thin bamboo pole pivoted on yonder tree, I would be skeptical not only of
his new technology, which I was unfamiliar with, but also of the
implausibility of a bamboo pole being strong enough, because between the
tree and the rock, the technology is old. Unless he is claiming that when
the new technology of leverage is used, that the bamboo takes on new
strength, and the old laws don't apply.

So, Rossi is claiming a new heat-producing reaction, and while I'm
skeptical of it, I'm interested in his attempts to demonstrate it. But the
implausibility I expressed above, was not of the reaction Rossi claims, but
of intermediate physics that is not new, and that is necessary to believe
his interpretation of the demo.

The interpretation of the Oct 28 demo, and all the other steam demos,
assumes that the power transfer to the water increases 8-fold at the onset
(or within minutes) of boiling, and that requires an 8-fold increase in the
temperature difference between the heating element and the water. Given the
time it takes to increase the temperature of the heating element to its
first-fold power transfer (hours), this is impossibly implausible.

Or is Rossi also claiming that if heat is produced by nuclear reactions,
then the thermodynamics of heat transport is completely different?