My question:  Did Sen. Bruce Tarr ask Rossi any questions to which Rossi
provided surprising (to B. Tarr) answers?

When an attorney calls a witness, he knows the answers before he asks the
questions.  The same applies to public hearings where an elected official
invests his political capital in calling a witness.  It is understandable,
perhaps, why Hagelstein didn't act as an attorney or politician, and Rossi
was open to give him a surprising answer (even though it was consistent
with his other recent statements).