On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Craig Brown <cr...@overunity.co> wrote:

> Rossi's behaviour with regards to blocking independent testing is
> explained by the fact that he's sitting on potentially the world's most
> valuable IP and doesn't have a US or European patent yet.  There is no need
> for the pseudosceptics to look for conspiracy theories.

Complete nonsense.  That issue is easily solved by black box testing using
a reliable and trusted friend of cold fusion or a university laboratory
with secret clearance.  And while Rossi would have to keep his hands and
instruments out of such tests, there is no reason why he or his people
could not be there to protect his IP during the testing.  I am sure he
doesn't sleep with a gun in front of his laboratory every night.  He also
doesn't build megawatt plants by himself.  So Rossi has to trust some
people.  Why not trust a university to do a quick test with proper
safeguards for the IP?   It happens all the time.

The explanation also does not explain why Rossi did not take the advice of
sympathetic people like Jed Rothwell to improve his test methods.

Equally relevant, there is no protection of IP whatever if Rossi really
sold a system as he claims.  In that instance, the customer can easily take
apart the devices and submit them to analysis and reverse engineering.  If
there are written agreements, it's low risk to break them, especially if
it's done in a foreign country and far away.  There is a lot of money to be
made by that sort of activity and without a doubt, someone will do it if
the E-cat is real and Rossi actually sells them.   Again, Rossi can't stand
guard in front of a customer's E-cat.  And agreements will not protect him,
especially absent a patent.

The idea that secrecy motivates Rossi because of a need to protect IP is
way less likely than that the motivation is simply that he's committing
fraud.