Jed,
What I meant that you need to accumulate a lot of reports around the world
and over time to infer a pattern and make a useful inference about the
phenomenon. For example, if many witnesses over the years see meteorites
coming from a particular location in the sky and during a particular time
of the year then you can come to the conclusion they are witnessing a
meteor shower associated with a comet trajectory.
Even single observation would be useful but just data points in a overall
pattern.

But this cannot be applied to LENR because the claims of LENR go beyond
well known science.We need much more than anecdotal evidence.
Nobody questions the existence of meteorites or birds.

But even multiple reports of UFO don't convince the scientific community
because there are simpler explanations to account for the observations.
Furthermore when single observations for which there is stronger evidence
as photographs, radar traces and so on usually the UFO hypothesis don't
survive the scrutiny.

I don't want to go all the way to say the LENR in general is close to the
UFO phenomenon in terms of scientific quality but I would not refrain to
say that for what concerns the Rossi's story.

Giovanni