I work for a large German car manufacturers in engine development. When we put
out a new engine, it takes about nine months from the last prototype to go-live
of an assembly line. Most of that time is spent in tool development (tools
("werkzeuge") is what we call everything we need to make and assemble the parts
we produce ourselves plus whatever components and subsystems we sourced out to
suppliers), calibration and production testing. I'd expect an e-cat to consist
only of a small fraction of the parts we need in an engine. On the other hand
we've been doing that forever and Rossi is just starting out. Provided he'd get
some professional, experienced help and doesn't plan to build his own factory
first, he should be able to run mass production at, say, Tazzari or a similar
outfit by mid 2012. It sounds neither conservative nor overly optimistic - as
long as the prototype he currently has really works and doesn't require any
fundamental redesigns.