It depends on what he loses it for.  Why do milliionaires give a million
dollars to charities?  It would be a much better use of money to spend it on
proving cold fusion is real.  I think Dick Smith's offer is genuine, and he
won't try to back out of paying the million dollars if it is proven.  I do
think he is kind of stupid with the protocols he was expecting Defkalion to
make though.