At 04:43 PM 5/25/2012, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Axil Axil <<mailto:janap...@gmail.com>janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

<http://pesn.com/2012/04/28/9602083_NanoSpire_Inc_on_Harnessing_Cavitation_Zero_Point_Energy_to_Produce_Fusion_and_Transmutation_in_Water/>http://pesn.com/2012/04/28/9602083_NanoSpire_Inc_on_Harnessing_Cavitation_Zero_Point_Energy_to_Produce_Fusion_and_Transmutation_in_Water/

the pictures from LeClair are in the comments section of this blog.

Thanks. Not many photos there. Only one, it seems. I do not know what to make of it. Ed Storms is quoted:

I examined the material sent by NanoSpire and saw nothing unusual. I have no reason to doubt the experience they claim, but I have no reason to believe it either. As for the theory, it makes no sense based on my understanding of science.

That is sensible.

LeClair points to a comment previously by Ed Storms:

Hi Mark,

Just so that we are all clear about how to describe what you saw, let me explain some things *** does not understand. Two different types of nuclear reactions are now know; that which produces energetic radiation (1) and that which does not (2). Hot fusion and all nuclear reactions that are initiated by applying significant energy fall into the first category. This is the realm of normal physics. The one unique aspect of the other branch of nuclear physics is the absence of energetic radiation even though significant heat energy is generated. This branch includes cold fusion, which like hot fusion, results in fusion as well as transmutation. You triggered a reaction in the first branch by applying high energy. In addition, you triggered many kinds of very energetic nuclear reactions, not just fusion. Therefore, your reaction is not LENR or cold fusion. Nevertheless, the reaction you triggered is novel and unexpected.

There is a rather obvious attempt here to claim contradiction in what Storms wrote. In fact, though, the prior comment from Storms was merely following a normal courtesy of assuming that what a writer claims as to their own experience is true. Storms' focus was on distinguishing hot fusion from cold fusion and LENR. What LeClair has reported is obviously not LENR.

Sterling Allan, in reporting what LeClair claims, is demonstrating phenomenal naivete. He seems to think that an ability to string together pseudoscientific word-salad is equivalent to "genius." Possibly. But LeClair clearly has a whole story he's invented to explain his results, including "self-accelerated" water crystals powered by Zero Point Energy, but LeClair has been asked about what the experimental basis is for his conclusions about mechanism. He's never answered, as far as I've seen. He just repeats his story, his theory.

He made up the theory, that's clear. Brilliant? Well, if it is confirmed, we might conclude so. Allan seems to overlook that almost none of LeClair's story has been confirmed.

If the "LeClair Effect" is confirmed, it will still be rather apparent that this "genius" is "crazy." "Crazy" has no clear definition, it is a social concept, in fact. LeClair either does not know how to communicate with scientists, or he doesn't care to try. He does not communicate the observations on which his complex theoretical structure is based. What we know from his accounts is that he creates a bubble in a specific location with respect to a plate with holes in it, so that when the bubble collapses, the shock wave -- or other resulting effect -- is focused on a target on the other side of the plate. Or maybe he's, in the relevant experiments, doing something else. We have seen no sober experimental reports from him that give the specific details.

To a non-scientist, LeClair's "explanations" may be appealing. However, this appeal seems to be based on "Gee, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about," and "I don't understand this at all, but, wow, this could be really important. Therefore he's a genius."

Maybe he's a genius, it does take a certain kind of mind to be able to absorb those concepts (apparently LeClair did not originate the concept of ZPE being involved with sonoluminescence) and put them together into sentences....

But there is no evidence visible, even if we take every report from LeClair as representing what actually happened (i.e., what he and others would have *seen*), that connects his reports with the theories he liberally uses to describe what happened. For example, why does he describe a "crystal"? If you look at his full set of claims, those "crystals" are travelling at close to the velocity of light. Okay, how did he observe them? He'd see evidence of impact, say. How did he infer "crystal" from the evidence of impact? How did he infer self-acceleration, and the massive violation of conservation of momentum? How does he distinguish this from high energy at generation?

LeClair does not know how to communicate to those who might actually understand him. He shows a microphotograph of a plate, pointing out how "clear" the tracks are compared to those pitiful triple tracks reported by the U.S. Navy. What this shows is that he has no understanding of the SPAWAR work, at all. Not his field, for sure. He's a cavitation engineer, that's his training. If his effect is real, he was, in fact, positioned to find this.

Those lines in the acrylic plate might be radiation tracks, or they might be heat-crazing, or they might be what you see on such a plate if you look at it with a microscope. There are no controls presented.

The story just doesn't fit together, though, so far. It would be trivial, if LeClair wanted to, to come up with serious confirmatory evidence. He's claiming he's ready for commercial application, a slam-dunk. Based on a couple of experiments? That were disasters, massively dangerous, if we take his reports at face value?

It does not compute.