> I've always wondered if this were a red herring designed to lead
> astray those intent upon creating bombs. ;)

All I know is that the magazine that published the 'secret' of the
h-bomb said it was radiation pressure from the a-bomb trigger that
compressed the fuel for the h-bomb.

The US government had suppressed the magazine but finally relented
when someone else went public with the same information.

It sounds like the magazine had the goods, but maybe it was a vast
disinformation campaign and the secret remains safe.

The internet is wonderful. It was the 'Progressive' magazine that
published the secret. The issue is even online:

<http://www.scribd.com/doc/80517266/The-Progressive-The-H-Bomb-Secret-How-We-Got-It-Why-We-re-Telling-It>