From: Finlay MacNab [mailto:finlaymac...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 1:45 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:SPAWAR has yet to respond re simple error in claims of
effects of external high voltage dc fields inside a conducting electrolyte:
Rich Murray 2012.03.01 2012.07.02

It should be noted that in an electrolyte the current results from a
chemical reaction at the anode and cathode (in this case the generation of
hydrogen and oxygen) there are no free charge carriers in the solution
itself.  The cations and anions are bound together by electrostatic
attraction and exist inside cloud quasi organized solvent molecules.
Electrolyte ions do organize on the surface of electrodes to screen the
electric field at low potentials (most of the voltage drop in an
electrochemistry experiment happens within the first nanometer of the
electrode surface).  At the high fields quoted in the linked paper, I cannot
imagine how the electrolyte could screen the applied field.  It seems
reasonable to me that an electric field could exist inside the cell, since
electrolytes do not have free charges that can migrate to the surface of the
dielectric.

Electrolytes do not conduct electrons, they accept electrons and donate
electrons.  There are no charges flowing through the solution, just
reactions at the electrode surface.

Now I must get back to my electrodeposition experiment.