To clarify:
An electrolyte does not conduct.  Chemical reactions occur at the electrodes
that accept and give up electrons.  Current flows through the metal conductors
between the anode and cathode.
When I say that the voltage drop occurs withing around 1nm of the electrode
(the debye length), that is only the case for low voltage experiments on the
order of the red-ox potentials for a given electrochemical reaction.  At 6kV
this would not necessarily be true.  Because the ions in the electrolyte of
much much lower mobility than electrons in a metal conductor they may not be
able to effectively screen the high applied fields, especially if the solution
is being mixed (a quick search of the literature did not yield a relevant
example at high field) .  If the fields were oscillating, the E field would
definitely be felt within the electrolyte (this is what I would have done).
When you say:
The  situation has nothing to do with "free charges that can migrate to  the
surface" of anything. The mode of conduction is irrelevant.
I fail to understand what you mean.  The only reason that the field inside the
electrolyte can be zero is if charge carriers migrate to the surface of the
cell to screen the bulk of the electrolyte from the externally applied field.
I don't believe your example of probing the electrolyte with two probes and a
bridge is relevant to this experiment, since the external electrodes are not in
contact with the electrolyte, no chemical reaction can take place, and so no
current can flow, the field can only be screened by the build up of charged
ions at the cell walls.
Maybe you can explain it in a way i can understand.
What would happen if you had two metal plates separated by an air gap, then you
applied a 6kv bias between them, and then put your two probes into the air gap?