At 11:41 AM 7/5/2012, Finlay MacNab wrote:
Wait!

Suddenly you admit that the authors don't believe the field is 3000V/cm within the electrolyte? Maybe you should read the paper again in order to fully understand it.

No. While I'm not a mind reader, it does appear that the authors believe there is an electric field within the cell, created by the external field, that would exert forces on the surface morphology, they refer to this again and again.

They never estimate the field whose effects they are "seeing." The only statement of field intensity is the 2500-3000 V/cm. value. There is no discrimination between "placing the cell in an electric field," and what field might actually affect the contents of the cell.

It's extremely odd. The appearance is that they assume that there would be some effect within the cell, some significant force exerted, and exerting a force was their goal.

When I read a paper, I often read it with some interest in mind. I'd seen this paper before, but never read it with full attention and full critical resources. When Rich made his notice about SPAWAR's alleged failure to "respond," I looked for the original work and came back to this paper. I simply read it, this time, looking for values, and saw that the paper had a lot of explanatory text that was general, like "the effect of the field on different parts of the cell will be different for each part." That's not a quote, it's an example of the kind of text. I.e., a lot of fluff. There is no coverage of different effects shown by different parts.

Really, Finley, look for what this paper actually shows. Is what is claimed supported by the evidence reported?

Has anyone ever confirmed any of this?

Is it at all plausible?

What exactly is the effect of an electric field on the deposit? Is it described clearly and discriminated from the obvious wide variation seen *regardless*?

If their goal was to show an effect of a force on the cathode, applying an *external field* would not be a way to do it. That applies no force, there would have to be an internal field, which is not possible separately from there being an internal current, if there is a conductive electrolyte containing the cathode. Want a force? Well, one could fun high electrolytic current across the cell --- independently from the regular electrolysis. That high current would likely affect the cathode. It would exert an electric field effect. Definitely.

SPAWAR has done work with "external magnetic fields." Those fields penetrate the cell, practically as if the cell materials aren't there. There are known effects of a magentic field.

Nobody else has ever shown an effect from an "external electric field." And I doubt anyone is going to try. This paper provides no reason to do so! There is no comment on any possible enhancement of the heat effect or any other possible nuclear effect. This appeared in an electrochemistry journal. It was presumably of some interest as to shifts in the complex deposits formed with PdD codeposition or deposition/evolution. It has some pretty pictures. For comparison, there is one image of a "non-electric field" deposit that doesn't look a whole lot different from one with a field, and then lots of various images of complex structures, with an implication that these are related to the electric field. No real survey of what structures are found under either condition.

But once we realize that the "external electric field" cannot be exerting any significant force on the cathode, we know that any possible DC electric field effect is completely buried deeply in the noise that does exist because of the electrolysis current (electrolysis is pretty noisy, the resistance varies substantially as bubbles are generated and released), we can easily see that the effects ascribed to the electric field must have some other cause, or don't exist, they are just illusory, as easily happens with subjective reports of "difference."

There is a possible other cause, this is a high-voltage source from a television, I think, and those often have a high-frequency element because of how the high voltage is generated. There may be a level of vibration in the cell, possibly above the audio range, I don't know what it would be. That vibration of the cell at some frequency would affect morphology is quite believable. Easy to test. But probably not worth the effort! There is *so* much else to do, with much greater implications.

Rich Murray noticed the error, and, this time, brought it up, I think, because Duncan referred to some SPAWAR images. Then Rich confused this electric field work with other work where the little "volcanos" are shown, and came up with speculations about how leakage of the high voltage could somehow sneak into and burn holes in the cathode.

Nope. Totally irrelevant, those volcanos are not part of this work, apparently (though maybe there is some reference or image elsewhere). The paper cited shows one "cavity." With unknown implications. No controls, so it's very difficult to determine causation or common cause. (They have obviously done a great deal of work without electric fields, but there was no *parallel* control, where all the conditions were necessarily kept the same. They also ascribed an effect to the field being turned on that easily could have been from the simultaneous doubling of electrolytic current, and probably was. That's not directly stated in the paper, you have to put it together from the description at first of the protocol. Later, they just say that when the HV was turned on -- or "the cell was placed in the field" [not a quote] -- the palladium deposit swelled. Turning up the current can be expected to increase loading, which can be expected to swell the palladium a bit.