I would agree that looking at the physical state of the water/bubbles at the surface of the electrode is a good idea. There was some work done many years ago on the sound of various chemical reactions. The sound of jelly setting was particularly odd (another situation where water is important). It was never followed up to the best of my knowledge

Nigel