>An alternative to fusion is the lowering of the coulomb barrier which
>increases the probability of alpha particle emissions from the heavy element
>nucleus.

I must not understand your point here.  If the barrier is lowered then it would
seem that an alpha particle would exhibit less of a coulomb repulsion away from
the nucleus.  Perhaps you are suggesting that more alphas would be generated if
the source elements could get through the barrier easier?

Dave