The coulomb barrier is symmetric. It is just as hard to get a proton out of
the nucleus as it is to get a proton into a it.

In 1928, George Gamow <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gamow> had
solved the theory of the alpha decay via tunneling. The alpha particle is
trapped in a potential well
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_well>by the nucleus.
Classically, it is forbidden to escape, but according to
the then newly-discovered principles of quantum
mechanics<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics>,
it has a tiny (but non-zero) probability of
"tunneling<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling>"
through the barrier <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_barrier> and
appearing on the other side to escape the nucleus. Gamow solved a model
potential for the nucleus and derived, from first principles, a
relationship between the half-life
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life>of the decay, and the energy
of the emission, which had been previously
discovered empirically, and was known as the Geiger–Nuttall
law<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%E2%80%93Nuttall_law>
.

When the coulomb barrier is suppressed, the tunneling rate of proton
clusters increases. The lower the coulomb barrier gets the bigger chunks of
elements that can get out of the nucleus.

Since the kinetic energy of the emitted nuclear fragment is always
approximately the same, by the Geiger-Nuttall law, what changes is the
decay constants.

A lower coulomb barrier means a higher decay constant.

A simple way to derive this law is to consider an alpha
particle<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle>in the atomic
nucleus as a particle
in a box <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box>. The particle is
in a bound state <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bound_state> because of the
presence of the strong
interaction<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_interaction>potential.
It will constantly bounce from one side to the other, and due to
the possibility of quantum
tunneling<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunneling>by the wave
though the potential barrier, each time it bounces, there will
be a small likelihood for it to escape.

Knowledge of this quantum mechanical effect enables one to obtain this law,
including coefficients, via direct calculation. It was this calculation
that was first performed by physicist George
Gamow<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gamow>in 1928.

I speculate that what initially causes instability in the nucleus is the
tunneling of a heavy electron into it through a depressed coulomb barrier.
This electron changes a proton into a neutron and sometimes the nucleus
must reorder itself via nuclear decay.

But don’t be confused; heavy electron tunneling into the nucleus is just
one of many LENR mechanisms that transmute elements.

Cheers:   Axil