Bob Papp told me, last Friday, that the coil is not only not necessary, but
doesn't significantly assist the function.  He repeatedly fired off a
cylinder without the coil as a demonstration.

Part of my motivation to visit was to make sure that the (non-heat
engine) mechanical force was not simply a plasma pinch driven by the coil.
Obviously, it wasn't.