This was his reply:

Dear Sir: we resolved the èroblem with a variac, which confirmed, substantially, that our measurements were right,but I repeat that meny more measurements will be made by the validators. A final report will be published only after the end of the validation. At that point we will have no more aprototype, but a certified product and the measurements will be made directly in operation by the Customers.
Warm Regards,
Andrea Rossi

On 09/10/2012 12:33 PM, Andre Blum wrote:
And, unless I understand wrong, (and depending on the algorithm used to give your every half-second-or-so display update), there may have been an accidental correlation between the PWM duty cycle of the resistive heater and the measurement cycle of the true RMS meter. This is more likely when the PWM signal is somehow synced with the AC cycle, (which would not be such a bad idea).

Especially now we are talking a factor 2-3 in measurements, we could well be seeing effects like these.

Rossi confirms to me over mail that they have completed the test without PWM and using a variac, and that they stand by their own measurements.

Andre

On 09/10/2012 12:24 PM, Jones Beene wrote:

*From:*Andre Blum

Can anyone on this forum comment on the True RMS meter that was used? The link Frank supplied seems to suggest that one of its applications is to find unexpected high currents.

A true RMS meter of any kind is NOT sufficient in this situation.

A dedicated power analyzer must be used, if we are dealing with a duty-cycle correction or spiky input, as appears to be the case. We saw this problem clearly back years ago with Naudin's MAHG, which is actually a very similar device to e-cat, except in the use of tungsten instead of nickel.

Naudin, who is quite experienced with prototypes and actually worked for EDF (French grid utility) at the time -- nevertheless measured input power with a systemic 20:1 error. (gives one confidence in your power bill, if you are French, n'est pas?).

How did it happen? George or Terry may have a better recollection but IIRC Naudin was pulsing the input power at low duty. He measured voltage and current, but the current was across a shunt and the voltage was seen on the PS meter. The duty cycle was 5%, so to make the duty cycle correction, Naudin then multiplied voltage x current x 20, when he should have corrected only the voltage -- as the current was actual. Thus, he saw a most remarkable COP of 20, when it was actually a COP of one; with a systemic error of twenty.

Actually it is not that simple -- but had Naudin used a dedicated power analyzer, there would have been no doubt in the results, which would have been far less remarkable. AFAIK -- despite years of pleading that error still appears on Naudin's site.

Is Rossi (or his "expert" colonel) doing something similar? Probably.

Jones