*"If I want a small piece of beryllium that will fit in the well of an
Am-241 source, to get maximum neutron flux, I might arrange to buy some
pieces like that."*
 This is wrong thinking. To get the most neutron intensity, a very thick
piece of beryllium (Be) is required to increase the probability of alpha
particle interaction with a Be atom.

A very thin piece of Be will not convert all the alphas to neutrons. After
the neutron is produced, it will not be absorbed by Be atoms so a thick
berillium tagret will not affect the neutron.
 Cheers: axil