At 02:29 AM 12/8/2012, Eric Walker wrote:
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Eric Walker <<mailto:eric.wal...@gmail.com>eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

The problem is that you don't find out if it what you did was safe for five years, and then you have a 1/3 chance of dying or being disabled.

More accurately, I think it would be something like this -- for each interaction with the beryllium, there is a probability b that an adverse beryllium event B occurs. Â You'll then find out five years on average, with some amount of variation, whether B occurred. Â If B isn't seen one or two standard deviations out from five years from 2017, you will have been cleared, as far as the initial beryllium interaction went. Â If B does occur, you'll have a 1/3 chance of dying and a 2/3 chance of disability. Â But I assume you will need to repeat this process for each interaction that you have with the beryllium.

I would not go near it.

That's a personal choice. From what I've seen, the adverse event, B, simply does not happen with contact with pure beryllium metal, as a solid piece, nor with contact with BeO as a ceramic. It does happen with inhalation of Be, BeO, and other Beryllium compounds, if they are airborne (i.e., suppose one is machinging the metal, and it is being ground away. Or one is working the beryllium brakes, a real place where people have been seriously exposed -- i.e., mechanics).

BeO is very dangerous if crushed. Don't crush beryllium oxide insulators!!! If I whack my piece of beryllium with a hammer, it might make a few very small particles. I'm not going to do it. Turns out I don't need to. But if there was a good reason, it would be *highly* unlikely to generate a case of berylliosis.

It appears that a single adverse event that even produces an acute reaction only very rarely ends up causing chronic berylliosis. Much more dangerous is continued low-level exposure, which may produce no immediate symptoms at all, but which can then show up as much as twenty years later, as very serious chronic berylliosis.

Okay, my package arrived. No warning signs on it, and I don't think they are required. Opening it up, inside a plastic bag, is a piece of metal, 6.55 x 19.45 x 25.88 mm. (It is not cut perfectly squarely, those are averages.) It is indeed very light, it weighs 6.02 grams. (It was sold as 5.85 grams). Thus the density (from measured weight) is 1.83 g/cm^3. The density of Be is reported as (Wikipedia) 1.85 g/cm^3. Pretty close. (The surface is scored, and my dimensions are pushed as to accuracy, I only could find my vernier caliper, so the actual material there might be slightly less volume).

I scratched it with the point of a scissor, a short scratch. It made a clean shallow groove. Aong the edges, particularly corners, it is broken, tiny pieces are missing. That's how I'd expect beryllium to look, it's brittle.

It seems to have a bit of grey film or dark dust on the surface, on one or two edges. That's worrisome. I wiped some off on a piece of tissue paper, and examined it under a microscope. It looks like a fine powder. Each side of the piece is scratched with parallel lines, apparently from when it was cut.

I will now write the seller and find out more what I have. If that's machining dust, i.e., finely powdered beryllium, or mixed with beryllium, and maybe with an oil used to keep dust from flying when machining, it's a bit dangerous. The material is not readiliy airborne, though. It would not blow off, for example, I don't think -- and I'm not about to try it. None of this material fell off the piece in its plastic bag.