At 01:56 AM 12/8/2012, Axil Axil wrote:

IMHO, Beryllium does not need to be reformed in any way no matter what its original shape. It is a neutron moderator; most neutrons will pass right through it. But some will be slowed if the beryllium is very thick.

The problem is that I have an Am-241 source which is a sheet of metal (steel?) with a circular ridge welded onto it. The Am-241 is in the well formed by the ridge. So if I place the beryllium on top of the ridge, it will be elevated from the source by ... okay, damn it! I'll go find the durn thing and measure it.

By some total miracle, I found the source in only a minute.

The well is about 0.7 mm deep.
It is about 2.3 mm diameter.
The range of Am-241 alphas. 5.5 MeV, in air, is about 4 cm.

Might not be a problem at all.

Let's see: 1 Ci = 3.7 × 104 disintegrations per second = 2.22 × 10^6 disintegrations per minute.

about half of these, if I understand the situation correctly, will be absorbed by the Be if it's sitting on top of the well. From Wikipedia, "a representative alpha-beryllium neutron source can be expected to produce approximately 30 neutrons for every one million alpha particles."

So, roughly, I'd expect rougly 33 neutrons per minute. I'd think they might be anisotropic, heading in more or less the same direction as the original alphas. Then I need to look at how many of these would be detected.

Using a bunch of detectors, I could look for anisotropy.... LR-115 is cheap.

I can detect fast neutrons through proton knock-on, that's an advertised usage for LR-115, and I have a boron-t10 converter screen which I can use to detect slow neutrons. Hey, this is cool: Am-241 -> alpha -> (Be9, alpha, C12, n) -> (B10, n, alpha). The key will be finding alphas on the other side of the Be ingot, and only with a B10 screen. Aside from that, just using direct neutrons, how many triple tracks will I find? Turns out they are really easy to spot, the alphas hit the LR-115 like a brick, they make really clear tracks, and three radiating from a point stands out clearly. Proton tracks are more subtle. And that's part of what I want to test.

So, now, how do I get a real proton source? My guess is that, realistically, if I want to calibrate my LR-115 for proton detection, I'll need to find someone willing to expose the material. Much easier, I'd think, to move a few tiny pieces of plastic film to a source, like a linear accelerator, than to move the source to the film....