I realize that there is work done on the heavy piston as it is lifted from the
base.  This indeed does represent energy being taken from the gas and delivered
to the piston as you suggest.  But, if the system then generates a negative
pressure as is mentioned by John, it will essentially suck the piston back to
the starting position.  If we are to believe the inventors, very little heat is
deposited in the cylinder as a result of this cycle.

Had there been a report of gas heating, then you are correct, but there is none
according to these guys.  This is further supported by the fact that the piston
does not remain in a high position after the energy pulse has completed.

I contend that the gas would have remained in some expanded condition had the
energy been given to it from that stored in the piston due to gravity.

You could achieve a similar effect if you had a spring under the piston that is
compressed and then a latch allows it to be released.  Initially the piston
accelerates upwards to a maximum height and speed.  It could loose contact with
the spring entirely at some point as it proceeds upwards.  The spring at that
point would be totally out of compression.  Now, when the piston returns due to
gravitational force, it again contacts the spring and compresses it.  And, at
this point the piston will continue to compress the spring until it reaches the
original compression minus losses due to friction.

So, even though we would measure potentially a great deal of energy and power
in the piston due to the energy stored within the spring, the net work done is
zero for a complete cycle.

Therefore, if no heat is detected within the gas at the conclusion of the
cycle, then there is no work done on the piston by that gas.  For this reason
it is not possible to measure the output of a Popp type system just by looking
at the effect a pulse has on the piston movement unless the final energy is
actually measured within the gas.

Abd, you would be correct if the total amount of energy given to the piston by
the gas were then measured as heat within that same gas after the stroke,
otherwise as you say there is little to no heating in that gas so there is no
net energy released.

I suspect that what I have just stated is the general case that will always be
true for a closed gas operated system.   If at the end of the power pulse the
gas is not at an elevated temperature, then there can be no net power delivered
by the engine.

I can think of one exception to this rule.  If by some process the gas is able
to convert that energy into some other form such as electrical energy,  then
its temperature might not have to rise to the extent that is normally required.
 I see no such mechanism at work within the Popp device.  This is certainly the
situation with Russ' experiments unless the capacitor bank is being mostly
recharged by the return power pulse.

Dave