On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

I am fairly confident that these inventors do not claim that the electrical
> energy recovered due to the returning piston is significant compared to the
> mechanical output.

I haven't followed this detail up to now.  Here I am way out of my depth,
but consider the following:

* There is probably a high-capacity capacitor bank in most models that is
used in part to create an electric arc in the gas.
* When Feynman pulled the plug during the demo, the engine was ok for a
little while, and then Papp got nervous, and then there was an explosion
and some weird liquid.
* In one of the kits (Bob's? John's?), a coil has been omitted; presumably
this coil when present will have the effect of recovering some electricity
through inductance, whatever else it does.

What if in the Feynman incident the capacitor bank was somehow maxed out
and then released its magic smoke?

Eric