Eric, you bring up a concept that has been on my mind this morning.  I was
trying to come up with any way that energy could be delivered by the Papp while
leaving the gas cool.  The only idea that remotely made sense was if there were
two power strokes with the design.  The first one is traditional where the
excess gas pressure pushes the piston outward.  The second might be achieved if
the gas then proceeded to suck the piston backwards toward the bottom of the
cylinder.  If I recall some of the original steam engines used suction for
their power strokes.

For this idea to have any chance, there must be a load attached to the piston
rod that drives a flywheel.  The first push makes the flywheel accelerate in
one direction.  The suck occurs at a time that also contributes to the motion
of the flywheel.

A system of that sort would have two power strokes which has the potential to
make it powerful due to the number of energy hits per second.  We need to do
further thinking about the thermodynamics of such a thing as I expect that a
flaw will become evident soon.  Such as, why would we expect the active gas to
return to near its original temperature?  If the process is totally adiabatic
then perhaps that is possible.  This  implies that all of the LENR energy is
fed to the flywheel and the gas is acting like the spring in my earlier analogy.

It is obviously going to take more thought before I am willing to believe that
this proposed process is possible.  My gut feeling is that it is not going to
work.

Dave