On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

I suspect that work must necessarily be done on the Papp popper at the very
> beginning, during the first discharge, and that this work can be measured
> and tell us whether the cycle is overunity.

But as I think about it more, I agree that, without significant heat (or
electricity) production, there is potentially an energy balance problem to
be dealt with.  The heat might be generated at the engine, or it might be
generated by the engine doing work on something in the environment or in
creating electric current.  There would essentially be an adiabatic
transfer of energy from one form to another after the engine gets going
unless the energy is allowed to exit the system.  The fact that the Papp
engine is not reported to heat up significantly adds an interesting twist
to the story.

Eric