Jojo radically misrepresents what I've done. I sometimes cite Wikipedia for well-known, uncontroversial material. Blogs are rarely cited, and only to show opinion. Here, it was Jojo who cited an anti-Muslim source, no better than a blog. That source cited Muslim sources, of radically varying quality, and *interpreted them* in ways entirely contrary to normal, maintream Muslim interpretion, often directly contradicting, in conclusion from a source, what the source explicitly said.

This is highly polarized polemic, not scholarship. And it's highly offensive, because it is attempting to tell Muslims that their religion tells them to do something horrific. What if they believe him?

Below, explaining who I actually am, that is, what my actual "qualifications" are, I describe my relationship with Islam and what it means to me. If one reads this carefully, it will be seen that it is far from an attack on anyone's religion.

At 04:08 PM 1/1/2013, Jojo Jaro wrote:
Have you read the link? It provides muslim sources that categorically say the things I am saying. How can one who claims to be objective say that Lomax is right about this. You fancy yourself as being objective right? If not, I have nothing else to discuss with you. I will only discuss with people who want the truth, not win with propaganda and lies.

What evidence has Lomax actually provided? And how good is that evidence? My evidence is Sahih Muslim and Sahih Bukhari. Two of the most respected and venerated mulsim scholarly works. He's is wikipedia and Internet opinion blogs and his evidence is better than mine? Come on man. This is getting ridiculous.

Are you actually claiming that Lomax is fluent in Arabic? Please if you are, point to me where he said that. I don't read his lengthy tiresome essays completely so I may have missed that.

Jojo

----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:danieldi...@gmail.com>Daniel Rocha
To: <mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>John Milstone
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 4:26 AM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:OT: The Truth about islam and little girls.

The problem it is not that he is informed. Not only vastly more than you, since he can actually not only read the canon in Arabic but also criticisms and counter criticisms, discussion, of the highest authorities, all in Arabic. Although we should all question whatever people tells us, he provided enough evidence that you be just either a troll or fanatical to not accept as true, or much more probable as true than what you can find, whatever Abd says.

Daniel was responding to: http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg74947.html

He's not quite correct. I'm generally familiar with anti-Muslim polemic, and the issues raised. Here, I simply followed the sources cited by the Christian, and read them to the degree necessary to understand the context and what was being said. It should not be assumed that I already know the facts. I actually take testimony at face value and then verify it. Or falsify it.

A point should be made clear. I'm a Muslim. That has a very specific and technical meaning, it means simply that I have, in the presence of witnesses, testified personally, in Arabic, as to what is called the declaration of faith in Islam. In fact, when I did that, I was young and did not really know what it meant! That is, I had an *erroneous understanding.* I wasn't lying, I was just saying what I thought was so. It means something quite distinct from that now. Here is what it means to me:

"I testify that there is no god but God." That is, there is a single reality. That is *all* that it means. Everything else is interpretation.

"I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God." "Messenger" is literal. Sometimes, when I want to be a bit cheeky, I translate it as "postman." The Arabic word is Rasuwl. A rasuwl is someone who bring a risala, a letter. The postman does not have to understand the letter, doesn't have to be literate, is simply one who delivers it. So this article of faith is not actually about Muhammad except in a role of his. It's really about the Qur'an.

And I found that I could trust the Qur'an, itself. Not my interpretation of the Qur'an. Not what people tell me about the Qur'an. It, itself. It is quite the same as understanding that God is Reality. (And people who understand this point have often said that the equivalent in Islam, of Jesus in Christianity, is the Qur'an. It is the Word of God, in a way that has little or nothing to do with *language.*)

The Qur'an describes itself as a collection of stories, as, indeed the best story. It is explicit that some of it is metaphorical, so Muslims, in general, don't run into the same difficult problems with interpetation that afflict some Christians, stuck not only with a much older text, but, for some of them, with a 17th century translation that they consider authoritative, itself "inspired" and protected from any error. Good luck!

As has been claimed here about the Bible, there is a lot of "science" that can be read into the Qur'an. I noticed this quickly, when I first started reading the Qur'an. It doesn't *contradict* science much, and I found that when it appeared to, and I looked at the Arabic, the contradictions disappeared. I'll put it this way:

Arabic is a fluid language, susceptible to widely varying interpretations. Translators pick what they think makes sense in context. We actually do this with all language, perhaps outside of fields where language has become highly technical and highly specified. What happened here, it is apparent, is that I selected interpretations of the Arabic that corresponded to my experience. Those interpetations would be different for someone with different experience. There is no *real*, *true* translation. They are all made up, stories that make sense to us. And possibly not to others.

And, as could be expected, and as reported in hadith, someone with a corrupt heart would read corruption into the Qur'an.

There is a common human experience that we all can share, and when people come together in that experience, it doesn't matter what they call themselves, they meet in it. Those who interpret their own sources in the way that I'm talking about, who are honest with themselves and others, find this core source. And the Qur'an talks about that! Finding this understanding, plain to me (and to others) in a 1400-year-old text blew me away, forty years ago. I had the imagination that this was relatively modern. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_philosophy )

But that understanding is universal, for any who seek it. That's a promise.