At 04:13 AM 1/2/2013, Jojo Jaro wrote:
I've already said, you can not enroll into this muslim school that Obama enrolled in if you were not registered as a muslim. And any adoption of a child by an Indonesian muslim man automatically makes the child a muslim. That was the law. Research it my friend.

Jojo has obviously not researched this, or he's lying. When the story came out, it was in a Moonie publication that attributed the claim to the Clinton campaign in 2008. Clinton denied it. So CNN and another major media source sent reporters to the school itself. It's a public school with students from every major religion present in Jakarta. There was a different school involved, a Catholic school, where Obama seems to have been registered as a Muslim.

Jojo was actually asked for a source here, but he did not provide it, he simply repeated his claim, that's his normal practice.

I recall seeing a story that Obama was indeed registered as a muslim student. Things like this happen. His mother's husband, the head of household, was Muslim, and he has a Muslim name, so the school may have merely assumed he was Muslim. It actually means very little about his actual religion, and he was a young child at the time.

The adoption would make the child eligible to be treated as a muslim, I think that Jojo might be correct about that. So what?

Jojo's claims about U.S. citizenship are idiosyncratic, common among birthers, and legally invalid. If someone is a U.S. citizen by right of birth, they are not a naturalized citizen. There is no case law on renounced citizenship on this, to my knowledge, but an "automatic renouncement" would clearly not apply. One can be a dual citizen, it does not negate "natural born citizen."

These are arguments that have been *demolished* elsewhere, being brought here. For coverage of birther issues, in general, I now refer to
http://www.thefogbow.com/

On the adoption issue, see http://www.thefogbow.com/birther-claims-debunked1/three-theories/adopted-in-indonesia/ On the dual citizen issue, see http://www.thefogbow.com/birther-claims-debunked1/three-theories/two-citizen-parents/

Suppose, however, the one non-Catholic school at the time was only open to muslim students. Suppose that it was only opened to others later. This would have just about zero implication as to Obama's present religious affiliation. I forget how old he was, but it was certainly before the age at which people make informed decisions about religion. There is no sign that the school was a madrassa, a "religious school." That was something simply alleged without evidence in the original story, apparently an assumption that a "muslim" school, in a majority muslim nation, would be religious.

On the adoption claim, from Fogbow:

Claim: There's evidence Obama was adopted in Indonesia.

The only "evidence" is a <http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/100312/GAL-10Mar12-4044/media/PHO-10Mar12-211335.jpg>handwritten school <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/24/AR2007012400371_pf.html>registration page from the Santo Fransiskus Assisi (Saint Francis of Assisi) Catholic School in Jakarta, Indonesia, that refers to Obama as "Barack Soetoro." However, according to <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQPXVJuT2vY&feature=player_embedded>school officials at the Assisi School, it was customary for students to be enrolled with their father's last name and religion.

(That would mean that a male head of household was considered the father, whether or not there was a formal adoption. This is routine here, by the way, if the actual parent informs the school that he's to be treated that way. It can be complicated.)

None of this has any legal significance whatever. If the birth certificates and legally-binding statements of Hawai'ian state officials are fake, that would be a real issue. But this wouldn't make a difference. "Natural born citizen," it is totally clear, refers to place of birth. Period. There are exceptions under some circumstances for people born outside the U.S. There is some issue about children who lived outside the U.S. up to the age of 25. That didn't apply to Obama.

And *none of this belongs on this list.* It's here only because Jojo has continued to make his off-topic and highly disruptive claims.

No more original text below.

Jojo