To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>; <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:OT: The Truth about islam and little girls.

At 10:52 AM 1/2/2013, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Please remove this discussion to VortexB-L.

I doubt that will happen. VortexB-l does not appear to be googleable. So from Jojo's point of view, it could be useless.

I have no intention of wasting time debating Jojo Jaro on a backwater mailing list. I'm not interested in debating him here, either, but he puts material on this list, which *is* archived and googleable, and which asserts certain wide-believed memes that people *will* search for, and leaving stuff like that unanswered is a collective damage. It injures the reputation of vortex, and it can harm the public in other ways.

Jojo just implied that he'd stop if Jed would agree to stop "off topic posts."

Basically, Jed has mentioned certain opinions that Joho disagrees with, and he appears to want to stop people here from expressing such opinions. So he turns discussions, often going entirely off topic, into massive flame wars.

Expressing opinion as dicta is routine on a mailing list like this. However, starting up major contentious off-topic controversies is something quite different. The subject header here was created by Jojo. It's trolling for outraged response. Or alternatively, if nobody responds, it can make it look like this topic is acceptable here. There goes a billion people.

No, someone will need to contact Bill, or this list is toast, sooner or later. The problem here points out the vulnerability of a community depending on a single person for a critical -- if rarely needed -- function.