Hi, Dave,

Yes, this is the problem that plagues those harmed by mis- or disinformation.
If one ignores it, there will be a substantial number of people who believe it
on the grounds that it was not refuted. If one does not ignore the
disinformation and instead refutes it, by, of necessity, repeating the
misinformation along with its counter, then the misinformation is more widely
propagated.

It is an age-old conundrum and one that has not been resolved yet by humankind.

Balance is always nice, except  when it is a compromise between truth and
deception.  There are ill-intentioned people out there who will deliberately
use disinformation to harm others. Remember Neville Chamberlain? He naively
sought compromise where none was desirable.

So the conundrum continues. Maybe someday we'll figure out a way to solve it.
Until then, those who propagate disinformation will always gain some advantage
in conning people, whether refuted or not. Generally -- and I've been studying
patterns of propaganda for several decades -- I find that refutation is best,
with the intention of damaging the credibility of the source of disinformation.
Of course, in this digital age, the source when discredited simply creates a
new avatar is is again off to the races.

Do you remember the boardwalk game "whack-a-mole" or somesuch?  It seems o me
an apt metaphor <grin>.

Cheers,
Lawry