I wrote:

Your argument is general and would seem to go beyond protons, since it
> operates at the level of quarks and gluons and so on and calls out nothing
> specific to protons, in particular.  You appear to extend the variable-mass
> hypothesis to electrons; can I assume that it applies to neutrons as well?
>  If so, why would any form of energy arbitration, in which a magnetic field
> is used to drain off a little bit of the mass of a proton, not also apply
> to neutrons and electrons?

There is a possible error here, which is partly hidden by the ambiguity of
the phrasing, in which I seem to be suggesting that an electron is a
hadron, composed of quarks and gluons.  I was suggesting that, and I was
wrong.  I periodically forget that it is a fundamental particle.  But the
question still applies to neutrons.

Eric