I was thinking about the Rossi type reactor and  NiH system, but the
principle is the same for the Palladium system.

The hydrogen (H) is packed to form a hydride before the heat is applied and
it will penetrant only a short way into the bulk of the micro-particle.

When the particle is heated, charge separation will occur, the electron
will be stripped from some of the H, and that hydrogen will be ionized
leaving these protons in the bulk. Then the high negative charge at the
surface will draw the protons outward toward the surface.

Remember that the proton will be attracted to the positive nucleus as
happens in cooper pair production because of the negative permeability
coefficient of the particle’s surface charge ( the Shukla-Eliasson effect).

Cheers:   Axil